Monday, June 04, 2007

Opensuse - again!

After a thorough analysis of my home laptop system, I have come to the conclusion that I do not really need to brag with a state-of-the-art system, as I am very happy with what I have and I would not be using the features of a top-notch architecture anyhow (I am not producing any kind of videos nor playing heavy-graphics games)... So, as the only thing, which was getting me crazy, was the relatively small hard drive (40 GB), I have bought a nice new 100 GB Hitachi drive on ebay in April and finally come to install it in mid May.

I have to say one thing: I love Windows... when the system is empty. Or almost empty. It is fast, it works well out of the box, like a charm! However, I am already dreading the situation when I start putting programs on it... *fear*

When it comes to Linux... so far, I was an opensuse user since version 10.0 and have been using opensuse 10.1 lately. I was quite happy with it, however a new hard drive demands a new system and so I figured out, this could be a great possibility for setting up the 10.2 version.

After a weird first setup - with crazy ndiswrapper settings, no 3D acceleration and something else, which annoyed me and I do not really recall, I made up my mind and tried to install:

ccux - which ended even before the installation at the misguided partitioning scheme, bye, bye ccux!

kubuntu - which I could not set up the internet on, bye, bye, kubuntu!

fedora - which looks marvellous!!! bravo, red hat, this distro is a jem! but I could not find a way to install something on it as the updater was always trying to connect to internet which I do have only via wireless... so bye, bye, fedora!

frugalware - which gave me a headache to find the continue button after partitioning! people, please, call it differently!!! or rename the OK button to Partionate or something similar! this is an example of usability at it's worst!

And finally...

Opensuse - again!
And it works! I love it! It even recognized my wireless card, I still had to set it up using ndiswrapper though but still, it recognized it. I have than made a tragic mistake of trying to install ATI's graphic drivers (8.28.8) which were set up for X.org 7.1 only... leaving me with a crashed SAX. Great...

Installing again... But slowly, I am getting the hang out of it. :)


On some other tune:

The new Babylon 5 homepage is on, including the trailer for the upcoming directly-to-DVD movie(s) Babylon 5: The Lost Tales. Check it out!

No comments: