Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mauthausen


Yesterday my flat-share friends and myself have been to Mauthausen, one of the painful places in human history so far... It was one of the concentration camps during the second world war and even that it was designed as a working camp, it was regarded as one of the most brutal ones as it belonged to the highest level of camp typology. Mauthausen is now a museum and a memorial. You cry as you walk down the main avenue. You stumble upon personal stories of people who have been there and survived... or not. During the time Mauthausen was functional, more than 100.000 people have lost their lives behind the camp walls. And you feel their pain... behind every wall, under the ground, in the buildings you enter. It makes you weep... and swear not to allow something similar again.

We shall never forget!

As I was walking throughout the camp I have stumbled upon two (most probably) turkish boys playing in the free. The day was a bit under clouds, though still a pleasant day. For them it was an afternoon like any other...
For me it was refreshing to see them there on site, in Mauthausen. It has given the place a new life... a new hope... that there still lies hope for the next generation to decide otherwise.

...and I have thought of all the war conflicts which are happening daily around the globe and how much we diminish as the human race. One by one... killing each other... second by second... It is just sad.

1 comment:

Marta said...

Hi Alex!

Nice to see your blog!Now I'll be up to date what is happening in your life, at least partially:)

Just a few words about Mathausen: I've never been there but I've been to Auschwitz and that what I've seen there can't be worse than Mathausen.
I was just speakless because of all that what happenend there! One polish writter said once: People prepared this to people! Whe should never forget and never allowed to happen it once again!
I hope our generation will keep it in mind.